Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)I use these for running and cycling. I should mention that I've tried and evaluated a number of this type of sports sunglasses.
Overall these sunglasses represent a substantial value over many of the name brands in this area - most notably Oakley (who make outstanding sports eye-ware btw. But a comparable version in the Oakley line would reach well above $125 (and even higher in the Rudy Project line - another great contender in this space).
The two things that make this pair unique (and more expensive across all manufacturers) are:
1. Polarized lenses
2. Chromatic (varying degrees of tint that adjust automatically and quickly to changing light conditions).
Why are these important in sports?
Polarized lenses improve clarity of colors and depth perception by removing glare (diffusion) of the light. The best way to experience this is to try a pair on somewhere and compare them to a non-polarized version. Depth perception - especially at higher speeds like bike riding, improves safety - but also reduces eye strain over long running events. It's worth the extra $.
Regarding the auto adjusting chromatic lenses - nothing is more annoying in sports than having either too dark or too light a tint in your lenses. Sure you can change out lenses on most upper end glasses - but can you do that in the middle of a race? Do you really want to carry two pair of lenses with you on a long run? And what happens on one of those days that the sun keeps peeking in and out - or when you run after work into dusk. These lenses start out pretty light in that you can even see (pretty well) indoors. The moment you step into the sun, they will darken in a period of about 10-30 seconds. They are one of Tifosi's darkest lenses (when fully darkened in the sun). It takes a few minutes though for them to lighten when the light source dims. Generally not an issue. I've worn them from late afternoon sun into early evening and a rain storm on a bike ride and never felt I needed to take them off. They adjusted beautifully.
Other nice things about this pair - nice semi-hard zippered case and pouch that doubles as a cleaning cloth for the lenses. I drop these into the pouch and then zipper them in the case and they are well protected. Really nice optics and scratch resistant lenses (on the Tifosi site they show the lens being whacked with a hammer with no damage - but I'm not adventurous enough to do that with my own pair. I'll trust the advertising and don't intend to hit them that hard any time soon in normal use ;-)
The rubber temple pieces and nose piece are fully adjustable - again, go to the site to see how much they bend the frames around with no damage. More practically though, they do not cause any ear irritation since they hug the temple rather than sitting on the ear. And the rubber really does stick well when sweaty - just like they advertise (I was skeptical, but it works).
Downsides - they may be a little narrow for wide faced guys. Check out the Tifosi site as they have some wider versions of these. Finally - for cycling there is a little more airflow that sneaks into the eye than I would prefer. I'd probably check out a wider version - and Oakley / Rudy Project I think have good alternatives if you plan to do a lot of riding with them (especially on the road). I bought them mostly for running though and they stay fog free and clear with no reflections off the inside of the lens regardless of sun position.
In short - EXCELLENT buy for the money. I paid $70 on Amazon with free shipping. Anything less than $125 though and you are still getting value of much more expensive glasses from Oakley and Rudy.
Hope that helps!
Click Here to see more reviews about: Tifosi Tyrant Sport Sunglasses
When it comes to technology, the Tyrant from Tifosi has got it. They have three interchangeable lenses suitable for changing light conditions and any activity. All of the lenses feature a Glare Guard glare reducer and 100% UVA and UVB protection. Weighing only 25 grams, they're ultra-lightweight and feature adjustable nose pads and temples which are made of a hydrophilic rubber for increased grip when in contact with sweat. Includes a protective case for storage.
Click here for more information about Tifosi Tyrant Sport Sunglasses
0 comments:
Post a Comment