Nebo 5520 CSI Quatro 75 Lumen LED Flashlight Review

Nebo 5520 CSI Quatro 75 Lumen LED Flashlight
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
I can attest that this is an excellent product and a great value for what you get. I have used and abused my Nebo Quatro in the field and I will tell you up front what is good and what is bad about it. It is NOT completely de-bugged yet and has lots of room for improvement, but as a testament to how good I think it is, I have now bought two more of them to replace the one that I lost (more on this later).
First for it's basic function, illumination, it is EXCELLENT. It's 75 lumen output from LED lamps is both amply bright and yet very energy efficient, from just three AAAs. It's push button operation from the glow-in-the-dark tailcap is nice and convenient to use. The fact that all other functions operate off of the same button is both a minor annoyance (when trying to be covert) but also greatly simplifies operation (there is but one operational control). The green LEDs which will help preserve night vision are nominally effective (because they are a true green wavelength), a better choice than blue or red IMO which are less natural in the wilderness. Night critters (like skunks and oppossum) do NOT seem to react to the green light. The only drawback I've noticed for map reading is that topos generally show contour lines in green. My favourite function and the real reason why I bought the Nebo Quatro is the UV lamps. Instead of carrying around a separate UV light, I can now conveniently have this useful feature on the same all-in-one unit. Uses vary, but UV light is handy for scientific (geologic, biological, forensic, medical) functions, as well as signaling and active night vision enhancement. It will make certain body fluids, rocks, minerals, fungii, animals, and flowers florescent and make certain foreign objects apparent on skin (like splinters). Try shining it on your toes and see the multi-coloured fungus cultures! Bacteria that eat dead human skin will fluoresce also, as will the quinine in real "tonic" (try it at the pub). Also, if you need to catch some "live" bait for fishing... hang up a white sheet and shine the UV light on it... certain insects find it irresistible. Finally the included laser is just a bonus feature. It's a handy pointer. I've used it as a tight beam signaling device (when I want the attention of one specific person but not a whole bunch of other people). When used in conjunction with the ring magnet in the circular base, it makes a nice laser level (like in a doorframe). It's also endlessly amusing to cats. There is a separate distress "flasher" mode (not a true strobe) which I suppose is a good attention getter in case of emergency. Now, all of these nifty illumination features are included in one nice compact, rugged (solid aluminum), waterproof unit... a great value already. But, incorporated into the design is a nice knurled hand grip and the currently popular crenulated bezel. For 99% of people, this probably won't matter, but the crenulated bezel is a feature introduced in "tactical" or police flashlights specifically so the flashlight can now be an effective defensive weapon (i.e. gouging some terrorist's skull on a plane because... until they close the loophole... TSA let's you bring small flashlights... go figure). It actually feels pretty potent in your hand and is much more substantial than a kubotan. I consider the fact that it uses common, easy to obtain AAA batteries as a power source as a great design feature. AAAs are cheap and easy to obtain around the world. (Don't get duped into buying exotic battery types that have a brief peak efficiency and then cost you an arm and a leg to replace, IF you can even find them for sale at 3am on a weekend in Costa Rica).
So if you only want to hear the good news... read no further. What I DON'T like about the Nebo Quatro is that strangely... it has no integral clip, lanyard hole, or attachment point for collar-type clip. This is the reason I have already lost one after a year of useful service. Even if you buy a separate flashlight pouch or find some pocket to put it in, I would recommend "dummy cording" or attaching by lanyard such small, easily lost items of critical value. This is particularly true if you spend time not necessarily vertical, like me. Secondly, the crenulated bezel I mentioned is by intention... jagged. It easily scratches skin, abrades upholstery, erodes holes through clothing... so when you do buy a flashlight pouch, I highly recommend a "covered" pouch, that is, one with a cover flap or lid. Lastly, this is a small idiosyncrasy, but... I find that the magnetic base is NOT a desirable feature for me. It is a fairly powerful magnet that I don't necessarily need, but it is enough to effect the readings of compasses near me, and to even magnetize other ferrous metal objects that incidentally get near it, like my keys... sunglasses.

Click Here to see more reviews about: Nebo 5520 CSI Quatro 75 Lumen LED Flashlight

6 modes with 4 features in 4 colors makes one powerful compact flashlight! Nebo has combined all the best qualities of a tactical flashlight and put them into the Quatro; it doesn't come any better than this. All in S.O.S. Mode Aircraft Grade Aluminum Body Water Proof Design Aggressive Self-Defense Face Rear Tactical Glow-In-The-Dark Button Powerful Magnetic Base 3 AAA Batteries Included

Buy Now

Click here for more information about Nebo 5520 CSI Quatro 75 Lumen LED Flashlight

0 comments:

Post a Comment